10 Things Every Parent Should Know about Starting Kinder
(or a light-hearted look at some of the parental challenges of that first year at school!)
1. Get used to the book bag. It is the keeper of all knowledge and will transport vital information backwards and forwards to school. Look forward to the daily emptying and refilling.
2. The school will assume you know how things work. Be vigil at all times, look for hidden clues in correspondence and if in doubt please ask.
3. If you don’t have a comprehensive family organiser yet, get one. You will need to log inset days, school trips, school activities and many, many other events.
4. Get ready for peer pressure. If you haven’t experienced this yet you will this year.
5. Watch out for head lice. As horrible as it is to imagine, head lice is an age old problem. Beating head lice can be tough but the spread of the infestation can be controlled by adequately treating people who are infested and by taking precautionary measures to repel the lice.
6. Be ready for tears. Your tears that is. You may have been counting down the days til school started to give yourself a bit of 'me' time and as a result be surprised at how much you miss your child not being at home.
7. Buy a bigger washing machine. You remember the washing generated by a newborn? Well this is worst. Plan on a clean uniform every day as most days it will come back covered in something.
8. Join in or learn to hide. You will be asked to help, school trips, school discos, school fetes, it can be a lot of fun but if it’s not your thing be ready with the excuses.
9. Be 5 years old again. You will be reminded of your own school days. Get used to that “being told off” feeling, the intimidation of sitting outside a class room on a tiny chair and the noise and chaos that is a class of 20+ children.
10. And finally…Enjoy all these experiences because it will go in a flash and your little one will soon be moving up to Prep/Preschool and year 1!